Sunday, May 27, 2007

Senior Citizen

Curt went to get a haircut yesterday, and the lady gave him a Senior Discount. He's 52. He debated whether to correct her, but he was too cheap to give up the $7 discount it proffered.

He hates paying $20 for a haircut anyway, since he doesn't have a lot of hair to cut. And there's not much styling involved since all it takes is a #4 guard. It's all over within 5 minutes, and he doesn't like paying $20 for it.

A few months ago, he talked me into cutting his hair for him. I reluctantly agreed ... with the condition that he would not yell at me. He reluctantly agreed. Sitting in the kitchen with a towel around his neck, I dutifully shaved his head with the #4 guard. So far so good. This is kinda fun. Just a little messy. Next, he wanted me to use the edger to trim the bottom and his sideburns. OK. I can do this. Finally, he wanted me to use the #2 guard to blend the edging with the #4 guard section. Huh? I did my best, and he claimed he was pleased with the outcome. Uh oh. I feared I may have just gotten myself a job.

But wait. The second time I tried to cut his hair, I was not as successful. The edging was a little crooked. And when I was supposed to blend the edging with the other section, I slipped and made some obvious gashes in the hairline. I didn't draw blood, but the hair was clearly missing at an angle above his ear. Oops. I tried real hard to blend the gash by making everything shorter on that side. Hmm. He tried real hard not to yell at me.

Eventually, he started hinting that he needed another haircut. I pretended I didn't hear him. He brought it up again the following week. I dragged my feet. He finally got tired of waiting for me to do it, and went to the beauty shop. This is when the Senior Discount surfaced. What do you do when someone offers you a lower cost because you're old? Is the discount supposed to compensate for the fact that you're now balding and greying? Should he be offended or should he be appreciative?

Well, you know how this ended. He smiled and took the change. He has no self-respect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good ol' Dwaad.