Sunday, October 19, 2008

Spring Break: IRONBRIDGE, SHREWSBURY (3 weeks in US/UK/US)

Left Woodstock, heading west

Stopped in the little Cotswold town of Stow, but didn't lock Curt in the stocks on the village green like every other tourist who's ever been here.

On to Hay-on-Wye, a tiny town just across the border in Wales. Had to take a quaint 50 cent toll bridge. Yes, the town is full of bookstores (more bookstores per capita than anywhere: 1450 people/39 bookstores), but I only bought one because I didn't want to carry too many in my suitcase for the next two weeks. Still, it's a perfect place for a bibliophile like me. And it even has a sketchworthy castle for Curt!

Stayed in Ludlow, but took a daytrip to Ironbridge and Shrewsbury the next day. Rained all day. Was hoping Curt would sketch the bridge in Ironbridge, but it was too rainy. Still, we both liked seeing it and learning more about the Industrial Revolution that started here. I sent a postcard to my fellow Social Studies teachers, to prove that I am working (and learning about the Industrial Revolution) even while I'm on holiday

Stopped in Shrewsbury on the way back - similar to Ludlow with half-timbered houses. Used a park-n-ride service again. Found a table inside Starbucks (needed someplace warm and dry) with a perfect view of some old buildings for Curt to sketch. I ordered hot chocolate and read my book and was perfectly content.

While driving around today, noticed:
Lots of sheep! Just like in NZ. Sheep look better than cows on the hillsides because they are white dots on green fields
Fields are divided by hedges, not fences so the hills are light green with dark green lines.
Distances are short between town. Even shorter than in NZ. Brits must really underestimate how far things are in the US!
Houses are built of brick, even new ones in big developments. American houses are usually wood.
More smokers here, it seems.

No comments: