Monday, January 21, 2008

Sir Ed and me


Sir Edmund Hillary has died.
In this small country, where there seems to be 3 degrees of separation instead of 6, everyone has a connection to Sir Ed, as he is affectionately called. Here are mine:
• I can't claim to have ever met him, but he lived about 2 miles away and I drive by his house every day on my way to work, if that counts.
• His casket was driven to the cemetery at the end of my street.
• His wife was an Old Girl (alumni) of my school, and their daughter attended my school until age 16 when both perished in a plane crash in Nepal on a visit to see Ed. That was 30 years ago. There is still a Nepalese painting hanging in the school library, donated in honour of Louise and Belinda Hillary.
• My next-door neighbour was acquainted with Sir Ed and more specifically his (second) wife, June: June's sister worked for my neighbour, so they would all get together for a BBQ or whatever. Imagine, Sir Ed has been next door for a sausage sizzle.

Besides admitting to having only the slightest connection between Sir Ed and me, I can also admit to a dearth of similarities between Sir Ed and me.
Ed climbed Mt. Everest, the highest mountain in the world.


I climbed Rangitoto, a volcanic island in Auckland's harbour.





After conquering Everest, he said "We knocked the bastard off"

After huffing and puffing to the top of Rangitoto, I said "Who's idea was this?"


It must have taken Ed days/weeks/months to

travel by ship to India, then over land to Nepal, then walked to Base Camp, Camp 1, etc. until he got to the top.

I had a pleasurable forty-five minute ferry ride from Auckland, and hiked for a few hours.




Ed wore crampons on his boots.









I wore Teva sandals.






The temperature was below zero when Ed climbed Mt. Everest.

It was about 15ºC/60ºF when I hiked Rangitoto.

During his climb, Ed probably said encouraging things like, "Keep going, we can do it!"
During my hike I complained and belly-ached and said things like, "I'm too old for this!"

Ed was 33.
I was 50.

Ed had trouble breathing because of the altitude.
I had trouble breathing because I was out of shape.

From the top of Everest, Ed had a view of everything on Earth.
From the top of Rangitoto, I had a gorgeous view of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf.

Back at Camp 4, Ed and Tenzig probably had a cuppa tea.
On Rangitoto, I drank bottled water. It was ice cold, and very refreshing.

Afterwards, part of the mountain was named after him: the Hillary Step.
I got nothing.

Here's what I like about Sir Ed: It's not that he was the first to reach the top of Mt. Everest, or raced to the South Pole, or gave all his money to the needy in Nepal. No, it's that he went to palaces and mansions, met royalty and millionaires and - as he described it - never saw much to envy, let alone emulate. I like that he's called Sir Ed. Most of all, I am impressed that his name is listed in the phone book under "Hillary, Sir Edmund." That says everything about him and about this country.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

really cool! indeed Sir Edmund was someone simply special for being simple!:)

Anonymous said...

Great post, Megan! Thank you!

NewKiwi said...

I went to the live feed memorial at the Auckland Domain, and it was GREAT, his children and grandchildren told loving stories and memories about him. what a great opportunity that was.

jeannine said...

Hey there!

Great post :)

Found your blog in my search for information about NZ schools. We'll be moving there soon, and its all so overwhelming. But we're excited - we've been there before and love the country :)