Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Time to Go

I got an email from my mother titled "Not good news." It seems my dad is entering his final days. He has irregular breathing, coughs, is not really conscious, and can't swallow any more. The nurse says it will be a matter of days ... but he's such a tough old fighter that it's hard to tell.

So I have plane tickets to go to America. Once again, the timing is easy for me because I'm on summer break at the moment. I'll fly to Seattle on Jan 11th and might be there for his last few days. Then I'll definitely be there for his memorial service, at which time Curt will fly over too. Until then, Curt will be home all by his lonesome. : (


My mom says they just got 4 more inches of snow there, which is a far cry from my current circumstances as I sit here in NZ, wearing a sundress with a fan pointed at me. So I have to pack my winter coat and mittens. Too strange.

We've all had plenty of time to get used to the idea that Dad's death is imminent, but as my mom says, " Somehow it still seems to hit pretty hard. It's just not fair."

No comments: